5 Types of Charges
Drug charges are no laughing matter in Tennessee, and if you are facing any one of the charges below, you’ll need to act fast. Depending on the charges you face, you may be able to fight for rehabilitation instead of punishment.
The 5 types of drug charges in Tennessee are:
- Simple possession, casual exchange
- Possession with intent
- Sale of a controlled substance
- Drug trafficking or conspiracy
- Drug manufacturing
Keep in mind that although medical or recreational use and possession of marijuana is legal in many states, that is not the case for Tennessee. So, these charges apply to marijuana, as well.
If you are facing any of the above charges, the first thing you should do is seek legal counsel from the criminal defense attorneys on our team at Casey, Simmons & Bryant, PLLC. We can help you fight the charges and prevent suffering the consequences listed below.
Consequences of Drug Charges
For the 5 charges for drug crimes listed above, there are coinciding consequences that are the result of a conviction. Simple possession is the only misdemeanor offense, while the remaining 4 are felony offenses.
- Simple possession and casual exchange charges are class A misdemeanor charges and result in serving up to one year in jail and paying fines up to $2500. You may also be required to take drug education classes.
- Possession with intent, sale of controlled substances, drug trafficking, and drug manufacturing are all felony charges. A felony conviction results in forfeiture of property, suspension of your license, fines, jail and/or prison time, probation and community service.
Conviction of any number of drug charges will not only result in law base consequences, but social, familial, and career-based penalties, as well. Your future career and housing may be affected by a felony conviction, while it may affect how you are viewed in social circles.
Fight Your Charges with Help from Our Team
When you are charged with a drug crime, you need an attorney who will take your defense seriously. The defense lawyers at Casey, Simmons & Bryant, PLLC will work with you to build a strong criminal defense, represent you with confidence and aggressive persistence, and provide guidance throughout the process. Let our attorneys fight for your rights as your criminal defense team.
Contact our team at (731) 256-0023 to discuss your case.