Before you get the ball rolling on your divorce, you will need to gather some information regarding your assets, property, debt, and other pertinent financial matters. Be sure to prepare copies for both yourself and your attorney and, if you are relying on digital copies, back them up to avoid losing them and having to go through the process of obtaining them once more. The more prepared you are, the more time you can save, which is certainly in your best interests.
Here is a list of some of the financial documents you need to have ready for your divorce attorney:
- Income documents: Documents such as your paycheck stubs from all sources of employment over the past year, your spouse’s paycheck stubs, copies of check ledgers, joint or individual tax returns, and all other information that can help establish the net worth of both you and your spouse will all be necessary.
- Real estate documents: If you and your spouse own any real estate, you will need to obtain documents that show prove this, including mortgage statements, documents related to the purchase, refinancing documents, and tax assessor statements. If you own any separate property, you will need to gather documentation for it as well.
- Life insurance: If you have one or more life insurance policies, regardless if it is an individual policy or one that you have through an employer, you will need documentation, including anything that indicates a loan or cash balance against the policy.
- Pension funds: If you or your spouse has a 401(k) plan, pension fund, IRA, or retirement fund, you will need a copy of any recent statements.
- Marital debts: If there are any outstanding debts in your name or your spouse’s, such as medical bills, credit card debt, or other loans, make an itemized list of them.
- Documents of auto mobiles: You are also going to need documents for any auto mobiles, ATVs, snowmobiles, boats, and other vehicles you and your spouse own, including the title and registration. If you have any outstanding debt on them, include this as well.
Contact an Experienced Divorce Attorney Today!
If your marriage is no longer working and you are considering a divorce, contact the legal team at Casey, Simmons & Bryant, PLLC for the skilled legal help you deserve. Our team is dedicated to providing exceptional legal advice and is backed by more than 30 years of collective legal experience.
Contact our law office today at (731) 256-0023 to request a free case review with one of our trusted legal professionals.